A leak from an underground propane tank at Home Depot at 779 Washington St. (Rt. 20) forced the store to close and for emergency personnel to remain on scene until about 7am Wednesday.
The store was evacuated and closed just after 4:00 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. Auburn Fire Rescue personnel as well as representatives of Osterman Gas were on scene all night conducting a controlled burn in order to empty the propane so repairs could be made. Osterman Gas ignited the leak in a controlled burn. This flame was large and visible from Rt. 20 and adjacent areas prompting numerous calls to 911, and AFRD asking people on social media to refrain from reporting the incident.
While the temporary propane torch sending flames 20 feet into the air looked dramatic, AFRD officials said there was no danger to the immediate area during the burn and there were no injuries reported. However, The Home Depot remained closed for the night. It has reopened as of 7:30am Wednesday morning.
(All photos courtesy Auburn Fire Rescue)