Several overnight ramp and lane closures will affect traffic on I-1290 in Worcester, 146 in Sutton/Northbridge and I-90 in Millbury.
Overnight Lane Closures on I-90 Eastbound and Westbound at Exit 96 (Old Exit 11)
Various lane closures on I-90 eastbound and westbound at exit 96 (old exit 11) in Millbury. The closures will take place overnight, from Sunday, May 23 through Thursday, May 27, from 10:00 p.m., to 5:00 a.m., the following morning.
The closures are as follows:
- Nightly from Sunday, May 23 through Thursday, May 27, from 10:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. there will be lane closures on I-90 westbound in the vicinity of the exit 96 bridge.
- Nightly from Sunday, May 23 through Thursday, May 27, from 10:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m. the I-90 eastbound on ramp from Route 122 will be closed.
- Traffic looking to enter I-90 eastbound at this location will be directed to follow the detour signage in place and use Route 20 westbound to exit 94.
- Overnight on Thursday, May 27, there will be an I-90 westbound rolling rock-block to allow bridge beam removal to take place. This will require a brief hold of traffic and will take place after 11 p.m.
Overnight Closure of the I-290 Westbound Off-Ramps at Exit 16 and Exit 18
Overnight closure of the off-ramps at I-290 westbound at exit 18 (Route 9) and exit 16 (East Central Street / MLK Jr. Boulevard) in Worcester. The ramp closures will take place on separate nights starting each night at 9:00 p.m., through 4:00 a.m., the following day and the closures are needed to facilitate routine construction operations.
The closures are as follows:
- Overnight on Sunday, May 23 between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. the following morning, the exit 18 off-ramp will be closed. Drivers will be directed to follow the detour signage in place and use exit 16 (East Central Street / MLK Jr. Boulevard) to access Lincoln Street (Route 70).
- Overnight on Tuesday, May 25 between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. the following morning, the exit 16 off-ramp will be closed. Drivers will be directed to follow the detour signage in place and use exit 14 (Grafton Street – Route 122) then follow Grafton Street and Summer Street to access East Central Street and MLK Jr. Boulevard.
On-Ramp and Off-Ramp Closures on Route 146 Southbound at Exit 11 (Old Exit 6) and Exit 13 (Old Exit 7)
The closures will take place nightly from 8:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m., from Sunday May 23, through Thursday, May 27. The Route 146 southbound exit 11 and exit 13 ramps will not be closed at the same time. Traffic looking to enter and exit Route 146 southbound at exit 13 and exit 11 will be temporarily detoured as follows:
Exit 13 Traffic Detour
- Traffic looking to enter Route 146 southbound at exit 13 will be directed to take Route 146 northbound and reverse direction at Boston Road.
- Traffic looking to exit Route 146 southbound at exit 13 will be directed to use exit 11 in order to access Route 146 northbound back to exit 13.
Exit 11 Traffic Detour
- Traffic looking to enter Route 146 southbound at exit 11 will be directed to use Route 146 northbound to exit 13 to reverse direction back to Route 146 southbound to exit 11.
- Traffic looking to exit Route 146 southbound at exit 11 will be detoured southbound to exit 9 in order reverse direction onto Route 146 northbound to exit 11.
Appropriate signage, law enforcement details, and advance message boards will be in place to guide drivers through the work area. MassDOT encourages drivers to seek alternate routes, reduce speed, and use caution while approaching and traveling through the work zone. These operations are weather dependent and subject to change without notice.
For more information on traffic conditions, travelers are encouraged to:
- Dial 511 and select a route to hear real-time conditions.
- Visit www.mass511.com, a website that provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
- Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT to receive regular updates on road and traffic conditions.
- Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.