The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing the closure of the Plantation Street Bridge from 5:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 30, to 11:59 p.m., on Sunday, May 31. This closure is necessary to facilitate the partial demolition of the existing bridge. Once work begins, it will run continuously throughout the weekend to allow for the structure to be open for the morning commute on Monday. The bridge will remain closed throughout the partial demolition as a public safety measure.
This operation has been coordinated with the City of Worcester and its public safety officials. Once completed, the bridge will reopen with two-way traffic maintained on the west side of the bridge.
Northbound traffic will be detoured as follows
· Continue southbound through Plantation Street onto Franklin Street
· Turn left onto Grafton Street, along Hamilton Street
· Turn left onto Lake Avenue
· Turn left again onto Belmont Street, Route 9
Southbound traffic will be detoured as follows:
· Continue to Belmont Street, Route 9
· Turn right onto Lake Avenue
· Turn right onto Hamilton Street
Appropriate signage, law enforcement details, and advanced message boards will be in place to guide drivers through the work area.
Drivers who are traveling through the area should reduce speed and use caution.
All scheduled work is weather dependent and may be impacted due to an emergency.