The Auburn Police Department has announced that applications are available for the 2019 Citizens Police Academy. Most of this program will be held at the Auburn Police Station one night a week for with the possibility of one Saturday morning class. The objective of this program is to allow the citizens of Auburn to learn about and experience the workings of their police department. The Academy class is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday evenings starting Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 6:00 P.M – 8:30 P.M (9 week program).
This program will cover a variety of topics to include patrol work, the detective bureau, legal issues, the opiate epidemic, use of force, community services, SWAT, crash reconstruction, and report writing. Each student will have the opportunity to participate in a ride-along with an officer on patrol. Rules and expectations will be addressed at the first meeting. There will be a hands-on exercise every class.
Interested applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Resident of Auburn for at least one year, minimum age of 18.
- Consideration will be given to applicants who work in Auburn but do not live in Auburn.
- No felony convictions in any state, no misdemeanor convictions within one year of application, not on probation or parole.
- Be willing to submit to a background investigation to include a criminal record check and driver’s history check.
- An open mind and positive attitude. We require the same from our participating officers.
Questions can be directed to Sergeant Daniel Lamoreaux, Daniel.Lamoreaux@auburnmasspolice.org.
Applications can be picked up at the Auburn Police Station or downloaded from www.auburnmasspolice.org, and returned to the Auburn Police Department 416 Oxford Street North, Auburn, MA 01501.