Artwork from 326 MA students in grades K-12, including from Auburn, will be on display at the Central MA Regional Youth Art Month Exhibit in the Higgins Education Wing of the Worcester Art Museum from March 1st – March 31st 2019. Youth Art Month is a national celebration endorsed by Council for Art Education, the National Art Education Association, and the Massachusetts Art Education Association.
This year, artworks from students of AUburn High School and Swanson Rd. Intermediate School is featured in the show.
A family reception will be held on Sunday March 3rd from 12:30-2:30pm. This reception will feature a recognition ceremony at 1:15, as well as performances by Oak Middle School Select Choir from 12:45-1:15 and The Academy Singers from 1:45-2:15. This event also coincides with the museum’s free admission day, which is the first Sunday of each month.
This annual celebration, which typically takes place in March, emphasizes the value of art education for all children and encourages support for quality art programs in public and private schools. The Museum is open Wednesday-Sunday 10am-4pm, and the 3rd Thursday of every month: 10am-8pm. Admission for the YAM exhibit hall is always free.
The purposes of the Youth Art Month celebration are to:
- Recognize art education as a viable factor in the total education curriculum that develops citizens of a global society.
- Recognize art is a necessity for the full development of better quality of life for all.
- Direct attention to the value of art education for divergent and critical thinking.
- Expand art programs in schools and stimulate new art programs.
- Encourage commitment to the arts by students, community organizations, and individuals everywhere.
- Provide additional opportunities for individuals of all ages to participate in creative art learning.
- Increase community, business and governmental support for art education.
- Increase community understanding and interest in art and art education through involvement in art exhibits, workshops, and other creative ventures.
- Reflect and demonstrate the goals of the National Art Education Association that work toward the improvement of art education at all levels.