Auburn’s Director of Veteran’s Services, Larry Corbin is looking for local Korean War vetereans. If you served in the Korean War, you may be eligible for the Korean Ambassador for Peace Medal.

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, this commemorative medal is an expression of appreciation from the Korean government to American service men and women who served in the Korean War. The Ambassador for Peace Medal began to be presented to veterans as a special memento for those of who returned to South Korea through the ‘Revisit Program’. The honor has since expanded to veterans who cannot travel long journey to Korea.

If at least 10 Korean War veterans from Auburn apply and qualify, Corbin says a representative from the Korean embassy will participate in a ceremony to award the medals. If fewer than 10 apply, Corbin will hold a ceremony to present to medals to each individual.

Applications and further information can be obtained at the Veteran’s Services Office at Auburn Town Hall, 102 Central St., Auburn. The office number is (508) 832 7706.

To be eligible, the veterans must have served in-country during the Korean War from June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953. It is also available for the veterans who have participated in UN peacekeeping operations until the end of 1955.

In order to apply for this commemorative medal, veterans or their family members have to complete the application form.  Veterans need to provide a copy of the Veteran’s Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty along with their application form for verification purpose.

The commemorative medals may be awarded posthumously. However, please understand that the highest priority for presenting the medal is given to veterans who are currently surviving in Canada. The next of kin, such as the spouse or descendants may apply for the medal on behalf of a deceased veteran.