WORCESTER – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) today announced that starting at 8 p.m. on Sunday, July 24, the exit 16 offramp on Belmont Street in Worcester will be closed for scheduled utility work. The work will end at 5 a.m., Monday, July 25.
On Tuesday, July 26, MassDOT will close the onramp to I-290 westbound from 5 a.m., to 3 p.m., for utility work.
For those seeking to access I-290 westbound from points between Shrewsbury Street and I-290 such as the UMass Memorial Hospital Campus, begin on Belmont Street:
• Turn left to head south on Major Taylor Boulevard
• Turn left to head east on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
• Turn right to head south on Summer Street
For those wishing to access I-290 westbound from points east (towards Lake Quinsigamond) of Shrewsbury Street, begin on Belmont Street:
• Turn left onto Shrewsbury Street
• Take the first exit at the traffic circle to head north on Summer Street
• Signage will direct motorists to the I-290 on-ramp on the right
The Exit 16 portion of the work is part of the Belmont Street Bridge project. For more information, please visit the project website.