WORCESTER – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation has announced that during the off-peak overnight hours of 9 p.m., Monday, July 10, through 5 a.m., Tuesday, July 11, all traffic on I-290 westbound will be detoured at Exit 18.
This traffic impact is necessary in order to allow crews to safely and effectively conduct construction operations as part of the Belmont Street Bridge Rehabilitation Project.
Appropriate signage will be present to guide all traffic on I-290 westbound to Exit 18 and then to the detour route that includes Lincoln Street and Major Taylor Boulevard. Traffic will then be directed to re-enter I-290 at the MLK Boulevard/East Central Street on-ramp (Exit 16).
I-290 eastbound will not be impacted and local traffic will continue to flow over the open section of the Belmont Street Bridge (Route 9) throughout this operation.
Drivers are advised to seek alternate routes and be mindful of potential delays.
For more information on traffic conditions travelers are also encouraged to:
• Dial 511 before heading out onto the roadways and select a route to hear real-time conditions.
• Visit www.mass511.com, a website which provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information, access to traffic cameras, and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
• Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT to receive updates on road and traffic conditions
• Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.
• Download Waze, the real-time traffic navigation app that provides motorists with real-time traffic conditions across Massachusetts.
All scheduled work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice.