BOSTON – On Monday, Senator Michael O. Moore (D-Millbury) joined Senate President Stan Rosenberg (D-Amherst) and Québec National Assembly President Jacques Chagnon at the Massachusetts State House to announce members of the Massachusetts-Québec Research Council.
Senator Moore, who serves as Senate Chair of the Joint Committee on Higher Education, and as a member of the Massachusetts-Québec Cooperation Conference, attended meetings earlier this year in Montréal where conferees agreed to establish a Collaborative Research Council.
“The Province of Québec is a unique partner with our Commonwealth on many matters including the economy, energy and education,” said Senator Moore. “Those appointed to the Research Council offer tremendous experience in each of these fields and I look forward to reviewing their recommendations on how best to strengthen our ties with Québec, and advance these sectors in mutually-beneficial manner.”
The Research Council consists of private and public sector officials from both regions who will be working on researching and developing long-term strategies of how Massachusetts and Québec can fortify their relationship relative to higher education and business.
Members appointed from the Province of Québec include:
• Ghislain Bolduc, Member for Mégantic, National Assembly of Québec
• Sylvain Gaudreault, Member for Jonquière, National Assembly of Québec
• Sophie D’Amours, Professor and Former Vice-Dean in Research and Creation, Université Laval
• Rémi Quirion, Québec’s Chief Scientist
• Richard Cloutier, President and CEO, Ecofuel
• Albert De Luca, President of the Board of Directors, Association for the Development of Research and Innovation of Québec (ADRIQ)
Members appointed from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts include:
• Marc R. Pacheco, President Pro Tempore, Massachusetts State Senate
• Thomas A. Golden, Jr., Chairman, Committee on Telecommunications, Utilities and Energy
• Dr. Michael F. Malone, Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement, UMass Amherst
• Dr. Simin Nikbin Meydani, Director, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center