A man trying to thaw a frozen pipe with a plumber’s torch caused a small fire at 34 Manor Rd. Sunday afternoon.

The fire was reported at 1:45 p.m. The AFRD arrived to find the fire had been extinguished by the homeowner with a kitchen fire extinguisher. Fire crews searched for hidden fire in the walls and ventilated and metered the home before the occupants returned. All fire companies were back in the station at 2:30 p.m.

During this extreme cold, officials warn residents not to thaw pipes with open flames. To prevent fereezing, wrap pipes in insulation or layers of newspapers covered in plastic to prevent them from freezing. Let a trickle of warm water run from a faucet to keep water moving through your pipes.If your pipes do freeze, remove any insulation, pour hot water over them or wrap them with towels soaked in hot water, and completely open all faucets. You can also use a hair dryer, with caution, to thaw pipes. Never use an open flame to thaw pipes.

(Information from MEMA http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/mema/emergencies/cold/)