Updated 4/24/15 3:55 pm
On Saturday, April 18, under bright blue sunny skies, the Auburn Fastpitch Softball League held its Opening Day for the 2015 Softball Season at Lemansky Park. Auburn Fastpitch has been providing softball for girls ages 5 to 16 since 1976. They kicked off the day with an opening ceremony.
The ceremony started off with the announcement of players and coaches from the U-8, U-10, U-12 and U-14 divisions. Softball players who were also Auburn Girl Scouts held the American Flag at the pitcher’s circle for the National Anthem. The Girl Scout flag bearers were Jordan Keller, Erin Murphy, Paige Stewart and Stella Traina.
After the National Anthem was played, Vice-President of Auburn Fastpitch Softball, Mark Hayes spoke to the players and parents thanking them for signing up with the league and how he was looking forward to a great season ahead. State Senator Michael Moore was introduced and he wished all the players the best and encouraged them to be excited about playing softball.
Ray Butler, owner of Mid-state Auto on Route 20 in Auburn and business sponsor to the league, was introduced to throw out the first pitch with fellow league sponsor, Senator Moore. Emma Ganley of the Auburn Police Association sponsored softball team and Carly Hayes of the Chuck’s Steakhouse sponsored team were the honorary catchers.
The rest of the Opening Day festivities included a league wide relay race, pitching and hitting contests, along with other games and face painting. At the end of the activities pizza was provided to cap off the fun and beautiful day on the softball field.
Auburn Fastpitch Softball provides softball programs in the spring, summer and fall. For more information about the league, visit www.AuburnFastpitch.com .
The Auburn Fastpitch Softball League thanks its following sponsors for helping the league provide an affordable and terrific softball experience for girls ages 5 to 16 for the 2015 season:
- Auburn Education Association
- Auburn Police Association
- Auburn Town Pizza – Auburn Street
- Auburn – Webster Lodge of Elks – Southbridge Street
- Allcare Medical Supply
- Astrella Ink
- Atlas Distributing Inc.
- Casey Storage Solutions – Route 20
- Chuck’s Steakhouse – Route 20 & Prospect Street
- Heritage Café at the Heritage Plaza – Southbridge Street
- MidState Auto Group – Route 20
- Michael Moore, State Senator
- Brent J. Andersen, Pilgrim Bay Insurance Agency
- Paul Frost, State Representative
- Savers Bank – Auburn Street
- Nicholas Hammond of Palmer & Hammond Tax Services
- Park N’ Shop – Southbridge Street