The Auburn Fire-Rescue Department responded to a significant propane leak at Herb Chambers Toyota Wednesday morning.

At 8:46 A.M. an emergency call came in for a reported propane leak outside of the building at 809 Washington Street (Rt. 20).  Washington Street was shut down in both directions and the area was evacuated.  A contractor was clearing snow from around the outside underground propane tanks with a backhoe, and struck the propane feed lines causing the leak.  The leak was stopped by the fire rescue department.

The gas inspector and Osterman’s Gas Company responded. Washington Street was reopened after about 40 minutes.  There were no injuries.