As supporters of the Arts, volunteers on The Auburn Cultural Council have voted this year to award eleven grants totaling $4,782.00 from money distributed by the state of Massachusetts to Auburn. Our state and local guidelines are followed in order to select from the many worthy applicants. It is the goal of the Auburn Cultural Council to disperse fairly the money that this town receives. Auburn residents, school students, preschoolers, senior citizens, and lovers of the arts are able to enjoy a variety of programs sponsored in part or completely funded by the Auburn Cultural Council.
This year’s grant selections include the following:
- “Magical Times”, a $500.00 grant to The Auburn Public Library for a 6 week summer program on the Art of Magic for children ages 7 and up.
- “Planting a Rainbow”, a $300.00 grant to support the Auburn Public Library in creating a Butterfly Garden created and tended to by Auburn children ages 5 and up. The grant will be implemented from February, 2015 to October, 2015.
- “Bathsheba Spooner, America’s first Murder for Hire”, a $200.00 grant to the Auburn Woman’s Club for a presentation by Auburn historian, Sari Bitticks. This presentation will be held May 12, 2015, at the Fr. O’Rourke Center North American Martyr Church for members of the Auburn community.
- “Celebrating New England: A Performance for Seniors”, a $450.00 grant for a presentation of the stories and songs, folktales and legends celebrating New England. This will be held at the Auburn Senior Center, Thursday, October 15th, 2015, at 10am.
- “The Marble Collection”, a $200.00 grant to help support its free arts education programs, which includes a juried, professional quality publication, featuring the artwork, original writing, music and video works of outstanding Auburn High School Students as well as students from other Massachusetts communities.
- “2015 Summer Nights at the Movies”, a $1,000.00 grant awarded to Kristen Pappas and the Auburn Recreation and Culture Department to support an evening movie for Auburn families at the Dr. Arthur and Dr. Martha Pappas Recreation Complex this summer. Dates and times will be published through the town publications.
- “An Evening with Walt Whitman”, a $300.00 grant awarded to Mr. Stephen Collins for a presentation at the Auburn Senior Center about Walt Whitman; his life and his poetry, to be held November 5th, 2015.
- “The Cultural Bridge” a $300.00 grant to help support programs for the visually impaired and blind community members through the Audio Journal which is available online, both live and on demand through audiojournal.net.
- “Auburn Community Players 2015 Youth Summer Theater Workshops”, a $500.00 grant to service 50-60 students grades 4-12 plus adults from the community for the third consecutive year during the months of July and August at a theater workshop to be held at the Pakachoag Church, 203 Pakachoag Street during the months of July and August. Student performances will be held on dates to be announced.
- “Scarlet Poppies; Pastel Paint like Georgia O’Keeffe”, a $455.00 grant awarded to award-winning pastel artist, Gregory Maichack, for an evening workshop for 30 Auburn residents to learn to use pastels as an art medium and create his or her own work of art. This evening will be held on October 27th, 2015, at 6:00pm at the Lorraine Gleick Nordgren Senior Center, 4 Goddard Drive, Auburn.
- “Grecian Culture and Masks”, $577.00 awarded to Mrs. Tammy Bailey and 200 7th grade students at the Auburn Middle School, in order to study the culture of Ancient Greece. Students will also design and create a mask which will replicate the God or Goddess assigned to that student.