Auburn Fire Rescue was called to Charlton for a 4 alarm fire in an 1830’s farmhouse.  Firefighters battled fire, cold and a lack of water supply at the J. Hammond Rd. blaze.  No one was injured, but the historic home was destroyed.

Mutual aid was provided by Auburn, Southbridge, East Brookfield, Leicester, Spencer and Sturbridge.  Firefighters had to cut holes in the ice of a nearby pond and shuttle the water to the site of the fire.  Along with the extreme cold and the construction of the nearly 185 year old building,  firefighters efforts were hampered on almost every front.